Monday, August 30, 2010

Parallel Processing

As a boss of a highly successful software company, I'm always looking for ways to improve efficiency and boost productivity. The idea of wasted idle time drives me nuts. There's nothing worse than having wasted down time or paying for employee time and realizing that you could have gotten more work out of them. One way to solve this problem is to utilize parallel processing. The basic idea is to do multiple things at once so that you get twice to three times as much done in the same amount of time. It's like doubling your value for free.

I make it a point to make sure that my employees are parallel processing so that I can get the maximum amount of work out of them. For example, I'll tell an employee to work on debugging some code while they write a TPS report. Modern computers are powerful enough that multiple applications can be running at the same time. There's no reason why my employees can't be doing tasks in parallel.

Another good example of parallel processing is having my team of developers simultaneously log into a central computer to work on our latest software project. I can oversee everyone on the same computer as design, coding, graphics, and web development are done concurrently on the same system. The parallel processing improves efficiency so we get more work done. It's a technical advantage in our company processes that gives us an advantage over our competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joseph M. Scandura, incompetent moron, idiot, pompous, stupid, failure, asshole, arrogant, bullshit, micromanager of the year, technologically clueless, ignorant, condescending, senile, dementia

scandura@scandura.com
mailto:joescandura@comcast.net